West palm beach dating service
The town council quickly addressed the building codes and the tents and shanties were replaced by brick, brick veneer, and stone buildings.
The city grew steadily during the 1890s and the first two decades of the 20th century, most residents were engaged in the tourist industry and related services or winter vegetable market and tropical fruit trade.
They included founding families such at the Potters and the Lainharts, who would go on to become leading members of the business community in the fledgling city.
The first white settlers in Palm Beach County lived around Lake Worth, then an enclosed freshwater lake, named for Colonel William Jenkins Worth, who had fought in the Second Seminole War in Florida in 1842. Census counted over 200 people settled along Lake Worth in the vicinity of what would become West Palm Beach.
By 1858, there were very few Seminoles remaining in Florida.
The area that was to become West Palm Beach was settled in the late 1870s and 1880s by a few hundred settlers who called the vicinity "Lake Worth Country." These settlers were a diverse community from different parts of the United States and the world.
Flagler paid two area settlers, Captain Porter and Louie Hillhouse, a combined sum of ,000 for the original town site, stretching from Clear Lake to Lake Worth.
On November 5, 1894, 78 people met at the "Calaboose" (the first jail and police station located at Clematis St.
However, many of the city's residents still lived within a narrow six-block wide strip from the south to north end.West Palm Beach is located approximately 68 miles (109 km) north of Downtown Miami.The beginning of the historic period in south Florida is marked by Juan Ponce de León's first contact with native people in 1513.Most settlers engaged in the growing of tropical fruits and vegetables for shipment the north via Lake Worth and the Indian River. The area at this time also boasted a hotel, the "Cocoanut House", a church, and a post office.The city was platted by Henry Flagler as a community to house the servants working in the two grand hotels on the neighboring island of Palm Beach, across Lake Worth in 1893, coinciding with the arrival of the Florida East Coast railroad.